**model of the moment: coco rocha



I love a model who loves her job. My roommate used to be a Ford model, and while modeling she met a few girls who have since gone on to make it big. One of her old model friends walked in nearly every major fashion show this fall and starred in ad campaigns for major fashion design houses. While she has a beautiful face and is obviously good at what she does, her success always makes me a little bit sad: as my roommate knew first hand, this girl is not remotely interested in fashion. While I understand the appeal of a well-paid modeling career, I cannot help but be disappointed knowing that the beautiful girl featured in these ad campaigns would in fact prefer to be somewhere else, far away from the world of Lanvin and Chanel.

Kate Moss, whom I featured earlier, exemplifies the love for fashion that I admire. She has embraced fashion as an entire lifestyle, and when looking at her expansive career, her personal life story blends in with a long and interesting fashion story.

Model Coco Rocha also loves fashion, but in a much different way. In interviews, she always emphasizes the seriousness with which she views her job. Since becoming a top model, she refuses to drink or smoke and makes sure to maintain a healthy lifestyle in hopes that this will be reflected in her glowing skin and perfect complexion. To this girl, modeling is a serious career.

Of course, when I first saw Coco Rocha, I was not particularly interested in her work ethic. It was Coco Rocha's fair skin and freckles that caught my eye! As a pale and freckled girl growing up in sunny San Diego, I wanted nothing more than to be tan and blonde. This may sound strange, now that we live in a world where even the vampires on Twilight are considered sexy, but when I was in middle school, I viewed tan+blonde as the only conceivable definition of beauty. I even spent one summer laying out every day, but in vain: hello freckles!

I have long since learned to appreciate my skin tone, but when I first saw Coco Rocha, complete with freckled-covered shoulders, I could not help but love her. People always accuse fashion of promoting a unified and exclusive definition of beauty, yet I have found just the opposite. While the "Girl's Next Door" will always feature a cast of identical blondes, in Vogue you can see non-mainstream beauties like Kate Moss and Alek Wek presented as the ideal. And sure, these girls are all ridiculously tall and skinny, but besides being a sample size, they offer a refreshingly unique appeal.

Regardless of skin tone, Coco Rocha makes a phenomenal model. Kate Moss is always Kate Moss (that's why we love her!), but Coco Rocha morphs into a different characters with every shoot. With a killer stare, a powerful walk, and impossibly small features, designers often choose her to work their most bold and daring looks. Notable achievements include working as the face of both Chanel and YSL, and of course, dancing down the runway in Jean Paul Gaultier's Fall/Winter 2007 show. There are so many amazing photos of Coco Rocha, it was hard to choose!

Editorial for Harper's Bazaar, September 2008...





Editorial for American Vogue in September 2007...





Editorial for WWD Beauty Biz, November 2008...





Randoms...




(Photo credits: TFS, HerFamedGoodLooks, unknown)

28 comments:

Dolly Daydream said...

I agree she is absolutely stunning and it is nice to see something other than blonde as beautiful. I think models with dark hair have more of a striking look then models with bleached and frankly boring, mediocre blonde hair.
From Dolly,
P.S- Check out my blog at:
http://dollydaydreamsdomicile.blogspot.com/

Joanna Wright said...

Shes an inspiration to me everytime I flip through the pages of Vogue/Elle/Etc, she has a beautiful spirit that comes to life in all her shoots.

Small town Canadian girl like myself with big dreams and goals.

Anonymous said...

I think she is the most beautiful girl in this world and also her personality is amazing. She is my dream girl. Brown hairs, blue eyes, amazing personality and successful model. I love you Coco.

daisyulliel said...

Brilliant article, I absolutely love Coco!

Thierry said...

in the sepia photo is not Coco Rocha

kriss aralar said...

nice article about Coco! really love her! :)

Suusje Q. said...

Very nice blog! I have a thing for models too!

Olivia. said...

New blog by Olivia.A one of the two creator of the famous http://daily-women.blogspot.com ; I hope you enjoyed yout holidays ;)

x.o

stacey kelly said...

@Thierry, I'm pretty sure it's her!
http://www.herfamedgoodlooks.com/hfgl/Coco%20Rocha/editorials/pages/pashenka-CocoRocha-itVogue-may2006-06.htm

:)

Candice said...

you're so right about her ability to morph into different characters.

/c
http://youareashootingstar.blogspot.com/

Candice said...

fyi I accidentally copy-pasted your blog as my blog. oopsies. http://www.cache.terrage.com/

Adri said...

Coco is one of my favorite models...she seems to have so much energy and is totally passionate about what she does.

great story

Margherita&Eleonora said...

love all of these photos :))
love tha last one model! http://sisterslovefashion.blogspot.com/
lot of kisses, hope you'll visit our blog :))

<3

anonymous girl said...

good for her. she sees it's something that can be taken away from her in an instant. this is an industry where one is chewed up and spat out!

Ashley said...

she so pretty
http://ashleyslaundry.blogspot.com/

em.me.ma said...

oh i love your blog! and it's so truee.. being in the fashion industry and not loving it .. what a shame!: (

www.yellowscarff.blogspot.com

THE DIVINITUS said...

thanks for the article, and happy 2010 ;)

Natalie said...

love her, she is so beautiful! the last pic is my fave! happy new year! :)

xoxo

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

Ashley said...

Such a beauty..and Canadian ;)

http://fashionroadkill-halifax.blogspot.com

Coco said...

She looks so much better as a ranga!

Dominique said...

I love her, she is amazing.

Walk The Sand said...

She's not my favourite model I must say, but she looks awesome in the WWD images.
Great post.

x

http://walkthesand.blogspot.com

HBTN Style said...

I love her rich auburn come chocolate mane > inspires me to return to my natural colour :)

.Maree said...

coco rocha is amazingly beautiful. i admire her!

http://compl3telycandid.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment