**style profile: kate lanphear



Fashion week--or fashion month, really--is that wonderful time of the year when magazine editors from around the world emerge from their fancy high-rise offices to mingle with the fashion crowd. They walk the streets of New York, London, Milan and Paris to remind us that, yes, they really are incredibly well-dressed. Most fashion editors are the glamorous type (as they should be!), but that's why Kate Lanphear, with her ever-edgy, ever-punky attire, stands out from the rest.

The word most frequently used to describe Kate Lanphear is "cool," which is interesting because the word fails to say anything specific about her style. Kate Lanphear's style tends to defy description because she's such a paradox: despite the fact that she is a successful 35-year-old fashion editor, her style can nonetheless remind you of your punky phase from back in high school--and while your old high school photos may be cringe-worthy, Kate Lanphear carries off the punky vibe in a chic way that few can achieve. She wears a lot of tough clothes, leather jackets and lots of BLACK, yet despite her somewhat grungy tendencies, she's always perfectly put together. Her bleach blonde hair is never out of place, and her simple makeup routine (she doesn't wear any!) ensures that there's never any running mascara to mar her perfect appearance.

Kate Lanphear has always loved fashion, and she first began working in the industry when she lived in Australia. She would take on any fashion-related job that came her way while working as a bartender on the side. After taking on work at Australian Vogue and Australian Harper's Bazaar, she was offered a job as the Senior Fashion Editor at US Elle, where she still works today. She's styled many amazing photo shoots over the years, but I think that her own personal style is her best fashion contribution. Always tough, boyish, and impeccably chic, Kate Lanphear's day-to-day looks offer a working example of how to wear black (without ever looking boring). Kate Lanphear's own fashion philosophy is pretty inspiring, so take note: "That’s the thing about fashion: You can use it to hide, but it’s only magic when you use it to express who you really are." More of my favorite pictures below...

I love looking back at the first pictures that made me notice my favorite style stars. This picture of Kate Lanphear posted on The Sartorialist over 2 years ago totally struck me--I had this saved in my "Inspiration" folder for ages...



Kate Lanphear's style AKA How to Wear Black 101:

Play with textures...







Add some navy to your noir...





Don't limit yourself to only one amazing leather jacket...





...or one amazing blazer...





Buy a little black skirt...





Go for graphics...









Don chic coats for cold weather...





Own KILLER accessories...









Surround yourself with fashion-forward friends...







Strut your stuff...









(Photo credits: Citizen Couture, Refinery 29, Alta Mira, Garancé Dore, Street Peeper, TFS, Tommy Ton For Style.Com, Jak&Jil, Zimbio, Unknown)

33 comments:

Rose said...

Loved this! You captured her style so well, in photos and prose. :)
-Rose
http://chailovevintage.blogspot.com/

Mumbles said...

Her style is amazing
I love the fact that she always wears black
such a great post

Marley

Fashion-rocks said...

love the stripy jumper

TOPCOAT said...

I love her, xx


http://topcoatfashionblog.blogspot.com/

shari @ little blue deer said...

She is insanely cool and gorgeous! LOVE that haircut, when I go shorter, I am going with this cut! XX!

VâniaMoure said...

lover hair and style. your blog have such an amazing stuff, love it!

Jade "Purple" Brown said...

i really enjoyed this post! whenever i see her, her style amazes me!

jadepurplebrown.blogspot.com

misslikey said...

I want all of her coats!

SabinePsynopsis said...

Great post. I remember being struck by her style, too. Now I think the 'mystery' is the juxtaposition between an outward cool-punky look, but based on lady-like gestures and style and very classical cuts.

marina said...

great post !! I love her......
soooo coooooooooollllllllll:)

thanks :)
http://malibuananas.blogspot.com/

Ingrid said...

ugh... i just love her ♥


x the showmanship

MarchMusings said...

She has worn black in so many ways- amazing style indeed

BEK F said...

Great tribute to her style and her career. I'm amazed that she always looks so beautiful and doesn't wear makeup! Jealous!

http://voyeur-ist-ic.blogspot.com/

Cindy Whitehead said...

I love everything about her style!!

Claggie said...

Loves this post! She has such inspiring style! <3

Ninjagaiden78 said...

I love women with short haircuts and she has style for days.

windowshop78.blogspot.com

Ashley said...

love your blog if you are interested in link Xchange with My Face Hunter via blogroll email us: myfacehunter@gmail.com

Eri said...

I really loved this post! Kate is such an icon!
Your blog is great and I really enjoyed it.

Hope to see you soon.
Pretty Portobello

match.box.muse said...

kate is all sorts of awesome. love her style. great blog!

Love, M

W. said...

omfg! how can she be so cool? haha. Love this post, congratulations! :)

Ashleigh said...

I love her haircut!
She's one cool chic for sure, how fun is that furry coat?? She rocks it!

Curiouser and Curiouser said...

ahhh as I was scrolling through this post I was thinking ooh I love that one the best, oh no that one, oooh that one. She has such great style, and I love her hair, I'd love to have such a signature look.
Great blog xx

Jennifer said...

LOVE her!! She is brilliant!!

Karoline Kalvø said...

Love your blog so much. Her style is really great. She knows how to stand out without overdoing it.

Karoline @ SECONDHAND NEWS

E said...

So stylish!
Im now following you, please follow me back!

xx
http://theonewiththefashion.blogspot.com/

le pearl said...

This woman is the bees knees

THE DIVINITUS said...

i like her persona too. i wish she had more freedom, to bring more of her influence into elle photo shoots.

Nimue said...

hmm, I love her style..

Brad Paige said...

ill deff be checking back and following/subscribing


I am an illustrative blogger and you can Check out my illustrations @ http://mrinsomniac.blogspot.com/

Eleanor said...

she is fucking gorgeous! xxx
http://improcrastinate.blogspot.com

Kameshee said...

jesus christ u met leigh lezark? :I JEALOUSSSS

Girl Can't Talk said...

I love Kate Lanphear. She's got incredible style. Thanks for posting so many great pictures. Nice blog btw.

Post a Comment